(Family Features) Warm weather means grilling season is back, but evenings around the grill aren’t just for hot dogs and burgers anymore. This summer, impress your family and friends with creative new recipes that take your traditional meals.
To start, try to bring other cultural influences to the table. Be inspired by this Mild Italian Sausage Polenta, featuring Carando Mild Italian Sausage and pickled peppers on a soft, creamy polenta. Simple and satisfying, this recipe just might earn a permanent place on your summer menu.
Whether you’re grilling for your neighbors or bringing the family together for a weeknight meal, sausage is convenient, easy to prepare, and can help turn any occasion into a memorable one. Made with 100% pork and loaded with traditional Italian herbs and spices, it pairs perfectly with this creamy polenta, as well as pizzas, sandwiches, kebabs and more.
Find more ways to put your own spin on summer grilling at Carando.com.
Mild Italian Sausage Polenta
Total duration: 35 minutes
- 1 package Carando Mild Italian Sausage
- 8 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups dry polenta
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 1 medium yellow onion, julienned
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 teaspoons of oregano
- Heat the grill to medium-low heat. Grill sausages 15 to 20 minutes, using tongs to turn frequently; Reserve.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk broth and polenta; to boil. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes, or until thickened and creamy.
- Remove the polenta from the heat and whisk in the butter and cheese. Reserve until ready to serve.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, peppers, onions and garlic; and sauté until vegetables soften and just begin to color.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine and reduce by half. Add vinegar, honey and oregano; cook until reduced by half.
- Add the sausages to the skillet to warm them up.
- When the sausages are hot, place the polenta on a large plate then top with the sausages, peppers and onions.