Load your pizza like it’s a giant bagel.
In many homes, it is customary to break the Yom Kippur fast with a good bagel, cream cheese and smoked salmon. There’s nothing more Jewish American than this favorite dish. So we took the same concept and made an extra large bagel pizza and topped it like the classic bagel. All the seasoning, cream cheese, smoked salmon and even capers. This recipe makes 4 bagel pizza crusts, so go ahead and top them however you like.
This fun fusion recipe is great when you also want to serve lots of other foods or just want to try something different. Whether it’s your Yom Kippur break or the next brunch you’re hosting, try this pizza bagel.
Food4 Thought: Did you know that the Yom Kippur fast is not sad, but rather joyful and that it is a “mitzvah” to eat a lot before fasting? Get more thoughts on Jewish food here.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 5 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- 1 ¾ cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 teaspoons instant yeast
Any Bagel Seasoning Mix
- 1 ½ tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 ½ tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon flaked salt
- 8 ounces (1 cup) cream cheese
- 5 ounces (150g) smoked salmon
- 3 tablespoons of capers
- Sliced red onion
- fresh dill
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the flour, water, sugar, salt and yeast. Mix well until homogeneous. Knead with a mixer or by hand for 10-15 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Working one at a time, form each portion into a tight, even ball, turning over the counter and tucking under and pinching the bottom of the ball to seal. Place the balls, seam side down, on a floured baking sheet, spacing them evenly apart. Lightly dust the dough with a little flour and cover the baking sheets well with plastic.
- Let the dough rest for 2-3 hours at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 550° with a pizza stone on the middle rack.
- Prepare all the bagel seasoning by combining sesame seeds, poppy seeds, black sesame seeds, garlic, onion and salt.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball of dough into a 10-inch round.
- Bake each flatbread until golden brown, about 5-8 minutes.
- Let the pizza cool for a few minutes then spread with cream cheese, sprinkle with bagel seasoning, top with smoked salmon, capers, red onions and fresh dill. Slice and serve!
Note: Flatbreads can be made ahead and topped fresh before serving.