‘Explosion’ of a pizza oven in Wales, 1 injured

One person was injured after a pizza oven ‘explosion’ in Wales on Friday March 4.

According to Lake County Fire Rescue, the incident happened shortly before 1pm at a shopping center near Wales Road and Cymric Court.

According to initial reports, the explosion caused debris to be thrown through the wall into a nearby business. The explosion is thought to have come from a pizza oven following a buildup of natural gas, officials said.

The Waukesha County Sheriff’s Department was the first to arrive and found the injured person. The person was treated at the scene and then taken to hospital.

SIGN UP TODAY: Get daily headlines, topical emails from FOX6 News

Lake Country Fire Rescue personnel turned off the gas throughout the building and evacuated everyone inside the mall. We Energies was called in to help and then restored service.

Officials said only minimal damage was seen on the ceiling tiles. No smoke, fire or structural damage was found on arrival or after investigation.

FREE DOWNLOAD: Receive news alerts in the FOX6 News app for iOS or Android.