(The dish of the day) Fall weather is officially in the air, which means we’re all looking for those hearty, hearty, and delicious recipes to warm us up at the end of a long day. Luckily for us, Jennifer from the Utah Beef Council is there to show us One Pot lasagna noodles…
- 1 pound ground beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 jar (24-26 ounces) garden-style pasta sauce
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 6 ounces uncooked mini bow tie (farfalle) pasta (about 2-1/8 cups)
- 2/3 cup light ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Thinly sliced or chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Heat a 5- to 6-quart ovenproof Dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and zucchini; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into small pieces and stirring occasionally.
- Cook’s tip: Cooking times are for fresh or fully thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of doneness of ground beef. Stir in pasta sauce, water and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from fire. Stir in pasta. Spoon heaping teaspoons of ricotta cheese on top of the sauce. Lightly stir the ricotta into the sauce, without mixing it completely.
- Cover and bake at 375°F for 10 minutes. To unveil. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil before serving.
- Skillet method:
- Prepare recipe as directed above using a 12 inch non-stick skillet and add uncooked pasta with pasta sauce, water and pepper from step 2. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Lower the temperature; cover and cook on stovetop 8 to 11 minutes (13 to 15 minutes for regular butterfly pasta) or until pasta is tender, stirring once.
- Remove from fire. Stir ricotta into sauce as directed in step 2. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until mozzarella cheese is melted.
- Cook’s tip: Six ounces of regular uncooked butterfly pasta (farfalle) (about 2-1/3 cups) can be substituted. Increase cooking time uncovered to 10 to 13 minutes.
Print this recipe for your records at home, then go to the Utah Beef Council website for more information and recipes!