As the nights approach, cooler temperatures call for comforting and nourishing fall meals – and nothing beats the hug of a big bowl of pasta at the end of a busy day. Adding a few good handfuls of brightly colored fresh green vegetables will help balance blood sugar levels and tick off a few more per day.
Tonight we’ve got our eyes on Gordon Ramsay’s super green pasta with arugula, toasted almonds and a squeeze of lemon from his latest 10 Ramsay cookbook – which means, no, it won’t take you a long time to do at all!
Gordon says, “It’s a really simple way to increase your intake of cruciferous greens – it’s kale and arugula (arugula) for you and me. You can add broccoli or spinach to make it even more nutritious, and use whole wheat pasta if you have more time. Serve with a tomato salad to balance out all that greenery, and leave out the anchovies and parmesan if you want to make it vegan.
For 4 people
4 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
3 cloves of garlic
2 anchovy fillets (optional, leave aside if cooking vegetarian)
250 g (3 1/2 cups) chopped kale
500 g (1 lb 2 oz) fresh pasta (any type)
60 g (1/4 cup) toasted almonds
6 tablespoons freshly grated
Parmesan cheese or vegetarian equivalent
2 large handfuls of arugula (rocket)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Fill the kettle with water and bring to the boil, then pour into a large saucepan, season with salt and return to the boil.
2. Place another large saucepan over medium heat and add the measured olive oil.
3. Peel and finely chop the garlic, add to the oil and cook for 2 minutes, until lightly browned. Add the anchovies (if using) and break them up with a wooden spoon.
4. Add the kale to the pan, along with a spoonful of boiling water, cover with a lid and steam for 3 minutes.
5. Put the pasta in the pot of boiling water and stir to separate. Cook for 2 minutes, or according to package directions.
6. Roughly chop the almonds and zest the lemon.
7. Remove the kale from the heat and, using a hand blender, blend until smooth.
8. Drain the pasta and add to the kale along with the lemon zest, half the Parmesan and a little salt and pepper. Mix together.
9. Divide among four bowls and finish with the arugula, almonds, remaining parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.
Ramsay’s Recipe in 10 by Gordon Ramsay, published by Hodder & Stoughton, £13, out now.