CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG) – Whitney Hemmer has a recipe for a tasty Italian meal in this week’s Fareway cooking segment.
Italian Sausage, Kale & 5 Cheese Tortellini SoupMakes 6-8 servings
Total duration: 25 minutes
- 1 (20-ounce package) Giovanni Rana 5-Cheese Tortellini
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1½ cups chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups Giovanni Rana marinara sauce
- 2 cups diced tomatoes or 1 (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 9 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 4 cups pre-cut kale, chopped (thick ribs removed)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the Italian sausage into the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring and breaking up the sausage. Add onions, carrots and sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Stir in marinara sauce, tomatoes, beef broth and basil. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Add the 5-cheese tortellini and kale. Stir and cook for 4 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano if desired.
Note: as the soup sits, the tortellini will absorb more broth, so you can add more broth or water to thin if desired.
Copyright 2022 KCRG. All rights reserved.